Welcome to Home Tests!

Top

Personal Genome DNA

2 Item(s)

Set Descending Direction

Grid List

2 Item(s)

Set Descending Direction

Grid List

Ever wanted to have a DNA test to find out just how awesome you really are? Or to help you with the health problems you have been having?

Nothing could be more important than what we are made up of. DNA is the hereditary material in humans and most organisms. The long molecules of DNA in your cells are organized into pieces called chromosomes. Chromosomes are then organized in to other short pieces of DNA called genes. Cells use these genes to make protein which do most of the work your body needs. Each human has two copies of these genes, one from the father and one from the mother.

All of our genes are made up of the same 99% base of DNA but the remaining 1% in each person is what makes us different from each other. Only 1%! This 1% is made up of the small differences which contribute to each person’s unique features. Gene mutations (or altered DNA) can sometimes occur and are classed in two different ways, hereditary (inherited from a parent) or somatic (mutations acquired at some stage of a person’s life). Hereditary gene mutations live in every cell of the body and continue being passed down the family line. Somatic mutations are only in certain cells of someone’s body and are not passed on to the next generation. These are usually caused by environmental factors.

Personal DNA Testing was once considered Science Fiction. The Human Genome Project (HGP) is an international scientific research project that was started in 1989 and used all genetic research, even dating back to that of a fly in 1911, to map the human DNA code. All of the research was documented and released in April 2003 and changed the way the world thinks. Especially the medical world. DNA testing was introduced but then it was only available by going to a specialist healthcare provider or a genetic counselor where it was also very expensive to have done. How things have changed!

All of our genes are made up of the same 99% base of DNA but the remaining 1% in each person is what makes us different from each other. Only 1%!

Now there is direct-to-consumer genetic testing, or at-home genetic testing, where a test can be purchased online and mailed directly to your door. The Genome test these days is a simple swab to the cheek and a notification by mail or over the phone or even posted online confidentially.

The DNA test at Home:-

Here are some of the many tests available today.

  • The Cardiac DNA test kit which tests for the genetic risk of a variety of heart-related health conditions and what drugs may affect your heart.
  • Breast cancer gene test which is an analysis of high-risk breast cancer genes
  • Healthy weight tests which provide matching of diet type, nutritional needs and genetic predisposition
  • The gene carrier test which can test for more than 70 recessive genetic diseases
  • Pain medication DNA insight identifies genetic variants that affect how an individual will respond to the analgesic effects of certain types of commonly prescribed pain medications
  • The genome test for ancestral history…what nationalities are in your history?

Consumers can now take a proactive role in their own testing and find out about their health, family medical history and how it might affect their chances of developing any disorders, and even their ancestry.

"Fact: Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes. Other organisms have different numbers of pairs - for example, chimpanzees have 24 pairs. The number of chromosomes doesn't determine how complex an organism is - bananas have 11 pairs of chromosomes, while fruit flies have only 4"

Personal Genome DNA

Finding out your ancestry ties and whether or not you are a biological parent has never been more accessible. If you are looking for resources to help you make a decision on whether you have a test for your DNA look no further!

Products:

Home Tests: There are simple tests that can be done using saliva or blood in the comfort of your home. Ancestry and paternity tests are growing more popular and to find out more information on tests at home, click https://hometests.com/personal-screening/personal-genome-dna.html

Resources and Links:

National Human Genome Research Institute www.genome.gov

Genome sequencing: Scientific American Journals www.scientificamerican.com